Saturday, September 10, 2005

I'm Back! ... kind of

Well I dont know when I last wrote on this but I can say that a lot has happened since then. On August 1st I finally moved out of my parents house into my very own apartment. I love it! Especially since the decorator did such an awesome job! Oh wait ... that was me! I have been collecting artwork for years now with no walls to hang it on - but finally those pieces have a chance to be seen. Though my wall space is limited, I just ordered another photograph from an old college accquaintance (whose photos already adorn my walls). Check out this site www.explodingeye.com/disaster7.html you can purchase 8x12 photos for $25 and all of the proceeds will go to the American Red Cross Hurricane Relief fund.

Speaking of, I feel like a postor child for that organization. As many of you know I decided to take on the job of Student Council Sponsor this year (I think I was drugged) and boy has it been busy! Normally this time of year would be hectic for StuCo with Homecoming steadily approaching (Oct 1st - it was changed from Oct 21st to raise my blood pressure) but these past two weeks have been doubly busy because of Hurricane Katrina. I hate watching newsbriefs of disasters on television because I normally feel so helpless. For those of you that know me well - I cant stand not to be involved. If it is within my power to help then I want to do so. But normally I dont know how. Well, after the hurricane I was flooded with e-mails from the other staff members - all with the same question in mind: What was student council going to do to help? And then it dawned on me - this is our backyard and now I have the resources available to me to actually make a smidge of a difference. So on top of Homecoming preparations (which I am sorrowfully neglecting) I am in charge of a major part of our school's effort to help our new displaced students and those who are occupying much of our downtown area. We are raising money for the Red Cross everyday - when I get the grand total I will let you know but I can say that just one hallway donated over $100 in one class period. A fellow teacher and I (Mary Shelton) started a "Ranger Tree"(instead of angel tree - we are the Naaman Forest Rangers). We call ourselves the "Rescue Rangers" (dont laugh - alliterations are hard to come by) and the whole staff is contributing to providing the items that the families of our new students need. Its amazing to see the generosity. One man at school got a truck and filled it with 20 pallates of water (well maybe only 12 - he was asking orgainzations to donate but I dont think he received 20 offers) and he drove that down to New Orleans last night. Anyhow - the point is - it is amazing to see the efforts that are going on down here. And boy does it feel good to be able to help.

Well, I am going to go and hang out with my mom so I will leave you with another top 10 list...
TOP 10 REASONS WHY LIVING ALONE IS AWESOME:
10. I dont have to shut the door when I use the bathroom
9. I can listen to whatever music I like
8. I can listen as loud as I like (unless the neighbors complain)
7. I can take as many naps as I want and not have to answer for them
6. I dont HAVE to answer the phone
5. It's tiny and doesnt take long to clean
4. No one tells me when to clean
3. One word - solitude
2. I can lay around in whatever I want and NOT wear makeup
and the number one reason is...
1. I dont have to shut the door when I use the bathroom (yeah - i REALLY like that one)

1 comment:

nic said...

Myyyyyyyyyyyyyyy bologna has a first name, it's A P R I L. my bologna has a second name, it's H U S E. I like to see her everyday and when i do we always say, "you know what else is contagious, infectious diseases!" Oscar Meyer has a way with B O L O G N A!


i love your face! bye friend!